Winslet attacks 'size zero' trend

Posted in
by Admin


Actress Kate Winslet has spoken out against the proliferation of "size zero" female stars and models.

Speaking on BBC One's Sunday AM, the 31-year-old mother of two called the trend "unbelievably disturbing".

"What I resent is that there is an image of perfection that is getting thinner and thinner."

The actress said she refused to have magazines in the house because of the damaging effect it could have on her six-year-old daughter, Mia.

"It's only a matter of time before she becomes aware of it and it frightens the life out of me," said the actress, who is promoting film comedy The Holiday, with Jude Law and Cameron Diaz.

She spoke of her admiration for actresses Emma Thompson and Meryl Streep, adding "their faces move".


I'm a normal person, I'm doing all right, I've got a lovely husband and children and I didn't lose weight to find those things
Kate Winslet



"I hope that in some small way I'm able to say 'I'm a normal person, I'm doing all right, I've got a lovely husband and children and I didn't lose weight to find those things, and those things are what should be important'."

Former Doctor Who star Billie Piper made similiar claims, when she told Glamour magazine: "I think the whole size zero debate is disgusting."

"My sister, who is 13, looks amazing but she's already worried about her figure," said Piper, 24.

"She loves Posh [Victoria Beckham] and I say 'Come on Ellie, she's tiny. What's wrong with Shakira? She's sexy, curvy'. But she has no interest."