Celebs Give Their Top Picks of 2006

Posted in
by Admin

As 2006 comes to an end, the stars gave PEOPLE their picks for the year's best books, movies, music and TV shows:


TV SHOWS

Ashlee Simpson: Desperate Housewives – "It's one of those shows like Sex and the City – every girl likes it."

Monique Coleman: Grey's Anatomy – "Even though there's huge issues, at the end of the day we're still concerned about the characters – that's good TV."

Macy Gray: Nip/Tuck – "It's over-the-top- drama. It's crazy. I don't know who thinks of that stuff."

John Stamos: South Park – "The show is so timely. If something happens, in like two weeks it's parodied on there."

Nicky Hilton: The Girls Next Door – "I just think they're so funny."


MOVIES

Josh Groban: The Prestige – "Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman are awesome. And I've loved magic since I was a kid. That it's a murder mystery with twists based on magic makes it amazing."

Jaime Pressly: The Departed – "It was amazing. It's a brilliant film. Everyone in it was great."

Anjelica Huston: Borat – "I don't know if it's the best movie, but it's the funniest. I have never laughed so hard in a movie. I've never laughed so hard, period.�

Mike Myers: The Fountain – "It's beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. All the performances were great. It was transformative."

Clay Aiken: The Queen – "Helen Mirren looks just like Queen Elizabeth. Acted like her! I thought it was very good."


MUSIC

Anne Hathaway: Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins, Rabbit Fur Coat – "You can just listen to it start to finish and it tells a story. It's beautiful, funny and very subversive. I really love it."

Chris Cornell: Bob Dylan, Modern Times – "I think it's fantastic. There's a lightness to it that doesn't normally come from him. When I say lightness, like a happiness."

Zach Braff: Joshua Radin, We Were Here – "It's just the greatest music. He's a really talented guy. He's like the new Paul Simon."

Katharine McPhee: Christina Aguilera, Back to Basics – "I really like her record. I think she brought some cool old-school stuff to it, and amazing vocals."


BOOKS

Terrence Howard: Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho –"It teaches you to enjoy each moment."

Ben Affleck: Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond – "I'm reading a lot of nonfiction. . . .This is really good right now."

Jennifer Connelly: In the Land of Magic Soldiers by Daniel Bergner – "That was the last one I read – it was actually about Sierra Leone, where Blood Diamond takes place. It was really fantastic."

Queen Latifah: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith – "I love it. It's a whole series."

Patricia Heaton: The Tiny One by Eliza Minot – "It's about a girl who loses her mother, and she chronicles the whole day before she finds out her mother died. She's exactly the age I was when my mother died. I'd read a few pages and then start sobbing."